Kristilyn from Reading in Winter and I LOVE a good challenge. So when we saw the dates dwindling down for 2012, we KNEW we had to come up with something awesome for the new year. Thus, the 2013 Book Bingo Reading Challenge was born!
When we thought about all the things we wanted to include in this challenge, we ended up making a list:
- Reading the books in our TBR pile
- Re-reading some books
- Reading some new books
- Reading books that EVERYONE but us has read
- Reading books from series that we have started & have been neglecting
In order to keep track of everything, Kristilyn channeled her awesome design skills and came up with a fancy, schmancy scoreboard:
Of course, a challenge isn’t really a challenge unless there are some rules and guidelines:
- Be awesome. If you’re not, this isn’t going to work.
- The challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2013.
- If you want to participate, you can join in any time of the year! Feel free to write up a blog post with the rules linking back to my and Kristilyn’s blog in your sign-up post.
- If you read one book for the “1 book” in any category, you can’t change it later on when you read another book to “2 books.” Once a square is crossed off, it’s crossed off for good! (Feel free to print off the scoreboard to keep track! I plan on raiding my sticker collection for fun ways to mark off squares!)
- Books read for one square are for that square ONLY and cannot be counted towards another category. This is all about reading ALL THE BOOKS.
- The FREE SQUAREisn’t really a free square. In order to cross it off, you must read a book by either:
- Reading a book picked by another participant, or
- Reading a book in a genre picked by another participant.
- You can start your board over again, but ONLY if you receive the stamp of awesome by completing a blackout. The “winners” of the challenge will be the ones who achieve the most winning combinations by the end of 2013.
- You can feel free to post your reading list for each category, though it’s not a requirement.
- Having a blog or writing reviews for books read is not required. So long as you want to have fun, you can participate!
- This isn’t a race, but don’t be afraid to rub your reads in the other player’s face. This will be seen as encouragement. Feel free to use the hashtag #2013BookBingo on Twitter!
While you can definitely “win” by the boring ol’ vertical or horizontal (or diagonal!) lines, the best ways to win are as follows:
Like it says in the guidelines, the ONLY way to start a new board is to become the SUPER READER! The goal is to read ALL THE BOOKS! To be a winner (thus, to become the awesomest reader around), you’ll want to accomplish as many wins as possible!
Will you participate in this challenge? Do you have what it takes to become a super reader?